The general election may be well and truly over, but for the Borough Belles our May meeting was also our annual AGM. So for any Belles who missed the meeting, here’s a rundown of the order of business…
Muireann gave the President’s address: “It’s been a terrific year for the Borough Belles, I hope you’ve all enjoyed it as much as I have. Last year we had 30 members and we currently have 46. Our best attended meeting was February for belly dancing. Meetings have covered a real breadth of topics: we’ve tried Morris dancing and wine tasting, had a walking tour of the area learning about our local history, and listened to speakers on the topics of British silver/goldsmithing, women in archaeology, bees in Bermondsey, and how to volunteer locally. Outside of meetings we’ve had our monthly dance outings and running clubs and enjoyed the relaunch of our book club (with added cocktails). We’ve been to several exhibitions together, finished our run of workshops with the Garden Museum and had stalls at Bermondsey St Fair, the Garden Museum and Borough Market, all of which raise funds which allow us to get great speakers and events each month. All of this has been great fun and could not have happened without the hard work of the committee who make it all possible. In particular we thank Emma our Vice President and Amy our Treasurer who are both stepping down. They have both served for three years and have been real lynchpins of our WI.” Amy and Emma were also presented with some thank you gifts, including BB mascot silver bee earrings. Amy our outgoing Treasurer presented our accounts, which have been professionally audited.
- We had £754.27 in our account at the end of March
- Our most costly meeting was November’s wine-tasting. But this was balanced by many meetings where the speakers did not charge
- Venue costs are our regular expense – the current venue costs the same as the Welsh Chapel.
- Failing to care – assessment of need in long term care
- This meeting calls on HM government to remove the distinction between nursing care and personal care in the assessment of the needs of individuals, in order to advance health and wellbeing
- This is a complex resolution and we will be emailing the full explanation separately to understand it further, along with a poll. If adopted, NFWI will make this a central campaign for the coming year
- Please vote via the poll whether you would like Borough Belles to accept or reject the resolution – votes close at the end of 31 May
- Christy will present our WI’s vote at the national AGM which she is attending on our behalf in June.
We also voted in our new committee: President – Muireann (also Dancing club)
Secretary – Catherine R
Treasurer – Amelia
Alison (Running club)
Emily (Campaigns and communities)
Johanna (Social media)
Katie (Book club)
Phoebe (Book club)
Please contact any of us with questions or suggestions! And if you want to find out more about our new (and returning) committee members, take a look at our About Us page. We’re looking forward to another great year! Muireann and the BBWI committee xx